Thanks for visiting!


Welcome! This is the place where I share my artsy and crafty projects. I am an evolving artist these days ... finding myself enjoying less of the cards and mini albums that I have made for years, and turning to art journaling and more artistic endeavors. I have always enjoyed some craft or other, and some of my earliest memories of my mother helping me make paper dolls and other crafts. I am now in my 60's and finding myself more passionately enjoying creating beautiful things and learning new skills and techniques and products.

While you are here I hope you will find inspiration and ideas for making your own projects, however any images or projects you find here are my personal property and should not be used for your own monetary gain, or for contests or challenges. Thank You!

7/26/2008

Wonderful You!

I have a wonderful hubby! We've been married for just over 23 years now, and although we've had our trials and tribulations, ours is a sweet relationship. I was 33 when we got married, and had never been married before. I guess by then I knew what I wanted in a partner, and with God's help, I found him!


Now, you are probably asking yourself, 'but what does that have to do with cardmaking?'! Well, I'm telling you this to explain my newest card, titled "Wonderful You". I've been on a card-making frenzy lately, and he's never complained when I didn't cook dinner, or when the floor wasn't swept or vacuumed, or when I barely came out of my room to say Hi. That's because he understands what this is all about for me - escape, relaxation, enjoyment, and fun!


My elderly parents are depending on me more and more these days, and my mom thinks I only exist to listen to her gripe and complain about everything. She even called me on my cell the other day when I was at the local scrapbooking store (EMI Scrapbooking) just to tell me what was on sale at her local supermarket this week! And I was expected to stand there and listen! But I didn't, lol! My life truly means nothing to her unless it is in direct relationship to her. Now don't get me wrong - I love my mother - both my parents - to death, but sometimes they just stress me out big time, and that's where my cardmaking comes in!


So, just to show my sweet hubby how much I appreciate his enabling this obsession of mine, and letting me have my way when I'm really stressed, I made a card for him. I'm going to put it by the coffee pot so he'll see it first thing in the morning. Do you think he'll like it???


The base of the card is Bazzill cardstock, topped with Cosmo Cricket 'Fleuriste: Dew Drops' paper. The matting is just some old burgundy cardstock, and the 'Wonderful' tag is from Cosmo Cricket 'Fleuriste: Journaling Cards'. The beige and brown satin ribbon is from from Grosgrain Annie's (a local shop at an antique market). For the matting, I used brown ink and the stamps are Rhonda Farrar's Flourishes 2 by Autumn Leaves. I used clear embossing powder and heat embossed the flourishes for a little more detail.


On the bottom left-hand corner I used one of the Journaling Tickets from Tim Holtz 'idea-ology', and topped it with two flowers from Petaloo's Dahlia Box Blend - Small in the gold, peach, green, blue blend. A petty cut tortoise-shell look button centers the flowers.


On the upper right hand corner I used a Heidi Swapp ghost shapes heart, punched two small holes in it, and made a bow of thin brown satin ribbon with white dots along it. I just love those ghost shapes!

The bottom right hand corner I added the word 'you' in chipboard. The chipboard was from an old scrapbooking kit, and the letters were a horrible pink-y orange. I inked them heavily with 'peacock gold' from the Color Box Petal Point 'alchemy' colors. Then I added clear embossing powder and heat embossed them to get a shiny, pebbley look. I think they turned out quite well.
So now you know about my sweet hubby, and about the card I made just for him. I hope you've enjoyed this visit - come back soon! Becky

2 comments:

Suz said...

Congrats on the new blog Becky I will make it an often stop....

I can understand some of what you are going thru with your mom as my best friend's mom was like that with her. She was in poor health all her life and controlled lived thru her daughter in many ways. It's a hard road you are on as a caregiver but you still need to set boundaries for yourself & husband. The Lord will lead you and I'm praying for your parents. Sorry maybe I'm butting in - just tell me to MYOB if I overstep (my friends call me Dr. Suz the psychiatrist because I listen to their problems but give out advice too lol)

Great meeting you on Friday. You are an amazing talent.

EMI said...

Hi Becky :)

What a beautiful card and a
sweet surprise for him to
start the week off with tomorrow.
I enjoyed seeing your cards in person the other day. You have so many neat designs and ideas. Next time you come by you know I want to see more of your creations!
:)
Susan