Thanks for visiting!


Welcome! This is the place where I share my artsy and crafty projects. I am an evolving artist these days ... finding myself enjoying less of the cards and mini albums that I have made for years, and turning to art journaling and more artistic endeavors. I have always enjoyed some craft or other, and some of my earliest memories of my mother helping me make paper dolls and other crafts. I am now in my 60's and finding myself more passionately enjoying creating beautiful things and learning new skills and techniques and products.

While you are here I hope you will find inspiration and ideas for making your own projects, however any images or projects you find here are my personal property and should not be used for your own monetary gain, or for contests or challenges. Thank You!

1/22/2011

Unscripted Sketches #90 - Dear Diary

Happy Saturday!  Once again it is 'Sketch It Saturday' over at Unscripted Sketches, and do we have a great sketch challenge for you!  This week's sketch seems to me to be very 'orderly' and 'structured'.  And if you've been reading this blog for very long you know I don't do orderly and structured very well!  But as always at Unscripted Sketches, this sketch is 'unscripted', so each person is free to turn, twist, scramble up the sketch as they see fit, as long as you can see something about the sketch in your finished product.  Here is this week's sketch . . .




And here is my finished product . . . it's an altered journal or diary . . .




And here are all the details . . .

Product Info:
  • The journal itself is a composition book - you know, those black and white speckled bound notebooks that you use in college?  I buy up a bunch of these in the fall when school supplies are out at Walmart.  You can usually get these for 25 cents each - what a deal!
  • The red papers are from a KI Memories stack from Hobby Lobby
  • The black and white striped papers are from a very old kit from QVC, and I couldn't tell you the name - sorry!
  • The image is from a vintage greeting card image I found online.  It originally said Hello, but I retouched it in Picasa and added Dear Diary instead.
  • The ribbons and button are from my stash.  The large button is vintage, and did not come on the card, but I sewed it onto the card.  The card had some smaller buttons on it that I bought at a small fabric shop in Mountain City, GA.  It is obviously old, and says it came from West Germany!
 






Tips, Tools and Techniques:
  • Altering this journal involves a lot of measuring and cutting.  I measured the front and back of the journal from the outer edge to the edge of the black binding, and cut two pieces that width and length, and adhered those pieces to the journal using Glue Glider Pro and Perma Tac adhesive.
  • Next I measured the inside covers from the outer edge to the inside edge, and cut two pieces of the striped paper to fit that and adhered those with the same adhesive.  Note:  I added the red satin ribbon under the inside back cover BEFORE I glued on the striped paper and pulled it across to the front.  You need the length of the notebook plus about 6 inches of the ribbon. 
  • For the pocket, I used a piece of the striped paper and cut it about 1 inch larger across and 1/2 inch larger vertically.  I scored three edges 1/2 inch in from the edge, clipped the two bottom corners at an angle so they would fold neatly, and folded them in.  I adhered these with FabriTac for a little tighter hold.  Then I added the ribbon and lace also using FabriTac glue.  The small tag is one I had in my stash, and I added red and white ribbon and a small ribbon bow.
  • For the image, I matted it on black cardstock and popped it up on foam dots.
And there you have it!  An easy project with a useful future!  You can decorate these journals to fit your own style or needs, and they make great gifts!  Come back soon to see what I'm up to here at Camellia Cottage!

Be Joyful Always, Becky


PS - Please take a minute to scroll down a couple of posts and check out my Pay It Forward Post!  I'd love for you to join me on this journey!!!





  

4 comments:

Sarah said...

This is really cute, Becky. Very crisp and clean.

Connie said...

I saw your blog name over at another blog and thought it was pretty as I love camellias so I thought I'd drop by and say hi, chickee. Cute blog.
xoxo,
Connie

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

I was using my Cricut today and thought of you. I REALLY need to clean my mats so I looked at your tutorial again. I promise to get them clean soon. Your journal is adorable and so are the cute little tags. I'm excited to use an Easter cartridge I picked up off season. I'm also using my Cricut for some Valentines I'm making. Did I mention the last time how jealous I am of what a pretty little Cricut you have? Mine is just boring grayish/off-whitish. I love the red! I usually name my toys too (like you named Rosie) but I haven't named mine yet. Oh! Maybe Bea? It's a possiblity. Thanks for being such a fun blog to visit!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

This is adorable! What a great gift idea. I really am glad that I found your blog.