Thanks for visiting!


Welcome! This is the place where I share my artsy and crafty projects. I am an evolving artist these days ... finding myself enjoying less of the cards and mini albums that I have made for years, and turning to art journaling and more artistic endeavors. I have always enjoyed some craft or other, and some of my earliest memories of my mother helping me make paper dolls and other crafts. I am now in my 60's and finding myself more passionately enjoying creating beautiful things and learning new skills and techniques and products.

While you are here I hope you will find inspiration and ideas for making your own projects, however any images or projects you find here are my personal property and should not be used for your own monetary gain, or for contests or challenges. Thank You!

1/29/2011

Be An Angel . . . Unscripted Sketches # 91

As you can probably tell, I've been on a major tag making binge of late!  I love making tags, and I think they make lovely little greeting cards.  When I saw the sketch for the Unscripted Sketches challenge this week, I just immediately saw a tag!  Here is the sketch . . . 



And here is my take on the sketch . . .



And here are all the details . . .

Product Information:
  • Base of card is a #5 manilla tag (2 3/8" x 4 1/2")  See pic below.
  • Patterned papers - striped paper is from a very old My Minds Eye 'Wild Asparagus' stack
  • Pink hearts paper is from one of the very first kits I bought when I began paper crafting.  All I can remember is that it came from QVC, but I have no idea who made it.
  • Ribbon, lace and ric-rack are from my stash - see mini-lesson on buying supplies below
  • Image is from a vintage valentine I found online - probably Flickr
  • Stickles:  Golden Rod on wings and halo, Diamond around the image and on hearts on pink paper, Picket Fences Distressed (Tim Holtz) on the cloud, and Icicle on the diagonal line between the two papers




Back of tag view so you can see the type of tag I am talking about.

Tips, Tools and Techniques:
  • Place tag on top of patterned paper and trim around tag using a sharp craft knife.  I did this once for each patterned paper, then cut the pink heart paper at a diagonal to place over the striped paper.  Then glue paper to tag using your adhesive of choice.  Using 1/4" hole punch, punch hole in patterned paper.
  • Print image onto cardstock (I use Georgia Pacific 110# white cardstock from Walmart), trim around it and place on foam dots or squares to raise it off of tag for dimension.
  • Add Stickles and llow to dry.
  • Add ric-rack, then add image.
  • I ran pink satin ribbon through the red laceto lighten it up a bit.  Fold lace in half and push the folded edge through the hole in the tag.

Mini Lesson . . . Buying Embellishments:

My crafting budget is on the bottom of the list when it comes to doling out money each week/month/year.  It's just a fact of life!  So over the years I have learned to get creative when it comes to buying embellishments for my crafting projects.  Personally, I prefer to spend more on 1)good quality papers and 2)good quality adhesives, and almost never spend money on made to match die-cuts, chip board, buttons, ribbons, etc.  I love them, but they are pretty expensive.  So I try to think outside the box when it comes to buying embellishments . . . 
  • Yard sales, estate sales, thrift stores - It's amazing what you can find if you dig a little bit!  I have bought some amazing laces, beads, stamps, etc. that were hidden in the bottoms of boxes at sales where everyone else is going for the bigger ticket items.  Keep a small list in your purse or wallet, and when you go to these types of places, pull it out and start shopping!
  • Antique markets and flea markets - Great place to find goodies!  The red ric-rack on the tag above came from a booth at a local antique market.  And the prices are very reasonable, and less than retail!
  • Small 'mom and pop' fabric or craft stores - That gorgeous red lace on the tag above came from a small store about 35-40 minutes north of here.  The store is next door to an older man's home, and he and his daughter run the store.  Years ago he had owned several fabric stores, and over the years as he got older and his health failed, he consolidated into this one building next to his home.  The great things about this place - they have TONS of older laces, trims and fabrics that are very reasonably priced!  They have much lower overhead, so their prices overall are much lower!  I bought a few 1/2 yard pieces of NEW fabric recently that cost about 1/3 of what they would have at a larger 'big box' fabric store.  And one other bonus - you make new friends!  These are the sweetest people and now that they've gotten to know me, they always have a smile on their faces when I walk in - and I really don't spend that much there, so it's more that I'm a regular and a new friend than it is about the money.
  • Word of mouth!  That's how I found out about the store above - because I never would have found it on my own!  Ask other crafters where they buy their supplies, but be willing to share your sources, too! 
So that's your assignment for this week - think outside the box!  I think you'll find you get a whole lot more for your crafting money if you do!

And next week, look for Unscripted Sketches #92, where you will find my very first sketch!  Yep, I drew this sketch, and I will share with you where I got the idea, as well as another project made specifically from the sketch!  Have a wonderful day!

Be Joyful Always!  Becky




1 comment:

Val said...

o.k. You are gonna think I am crazy but what is stickles???