Thanks for visiting!


Welcome! This is the place where I share my artsy and crafty projects. I am an evolving artist these days ... finding myself enjoying less of the cards and mini albums that I have made for years, and turning to art journaling and more artistic endeavors. I have always enjoyed some craft or other, and some of my earliest memories of my mother helping me make paper dolls and other crafts. I am now in my 60's and finding myself more passionately enjoying creating beautiful things and learning new skills and techniques and products.

While you are here I hope you will find inspiration and ideas for making your own projects, however any images or projects you find here are my personal property and should not be used for your own monetary gain, or for contests or challenges. Thank You!

2/10/2011

Stitching Something New . . .

 
Last night, while hubby snored beside me, I was sitting up in bed, reading blogs, and watching TV (hmmm, Top Chef anyone?)  when I stumbled back to one of my favorite creative inspiration blogs - inspire.co - and fell in love!!!  If you've never visited Amy's wonderful blog, you really must go and just surf back through her archives.  There is so much inspiration there!!!  And her new spring issue of Inspired Ideas magazine is now available.  Each online copy costs only $3.30 and is available for purchase HERE.  I have bought it, and I have to say it if you are an artist or crafter, it is well worth the price!  There are pages and pages of ideas and projects from some of the most amazing artists/crafters around, including Mary Engelbreit, Charlotte Lyons and many more.


 
 
Anyway, I saw the idea of making a 'cuff' from the cuff of an old shirt and I happened to remember the shirt of hubbys I put in the corner of the closet the other day where we stash clothes to give to charities.  The shirt was a real 80's nightmare that I'd assumed hubby had already given away, but he pulled it out and wore it the other day (ewwwwww!), so when I washed and dried it, I tossed it into the corner.  The shirt was perfect for this project!  A silky feeling polyester and rayon blend in the prettiest color - somewhere between a very pale ice blue and a soft dove gray, and the light that hits it makes it look different every time.

So, I pulled the shirt out of the closet and whacked off the cuff!  Then I hit my ribbon and lace stash.  I used some vintage (60's?) lace hem tape for down the center, and some double sided lace that has faux pearls down the center for each edge.  I used my machine to stitch them on fairly easily. 




Then I tried a few different things for decorating it, but nothing worked until I remembered another idea I'd seen online the other day.  It was a tutorial for a pretty felt flower.  I had made one according to the tutorial and it was very cute, but I wanted something a little more soft, frilly looking, so I cut five scalloped circles of cream felt using my Cuttlebug and Spellbinders Nestabilities Scalloped Circles Small set.  Then I added a vintage metal button, and a Swarovski crystal bead for the center.  Everything is machine or hand sewn except for the small circle of felt on the inside to cover up my stitches and the knot, and it is glued with FabriTac.




I really love how it came out, and I'm ready to make another one from the remaining shirt cuff!  So tell me, what do you think???  I'm off right now to put it up for sale on my shop, Myrtle and Me, so if you are interested, you can check it out there.  The cost is $23.50 and that includes shipping.



Please know the colors in this picture do not do the cuff justice - at all!  The sun was off, and it was really hard to get a picture of the cuff opened up!


Thanks so much for visiting, come back soon, and . . . Be Joyful Always, Becky






No comments: