And here is my finished product . . . it's an altered journal or diary . . .
And here are all the details . . .
- The journal itself is a composition book - you know, those black and white speckled bound notebooks that you use in college? I buy up a bunch of these in the fall when school supplies are out at Walmart. You can usually get these for 25 cents each - what a deal!
- The red papers are from a KI Memories stack from Hobby Lobby
- The black and white striped papers are from a very old kit from QVC, and I couldn't tell you the name - sorry!
- The image is from a vintage greeting card image I found online. It originally said Hello, but I retouched it in Picasa and added Dear Diary instead.
- The ribbons and button are from my stash. The large button is vintage, and did not come on the card, but I sewed it onto the card. The card had some smaller buttons on it that I bought at a small fabric shop in Mountain City, GA. It is obviously old, and says it came from West Germany!
Tips, Tools and Techniques:
- Altering this journal involves a lot of measuring and cutting. I measured the front and back of the journal from the outer edge to the edge of the black binding, and cut two pieces that width and length, and adhered those pieces to the journal using Glue Glider Pro and Perma Tac adhesive.
- Next I measured the inside covers from the outer edge to the inside edge, and cut two pieces of the striped paper to fit that and adhered those with the same adhesive. Note: I added the red satin ribbon under the inside back cover BEFORE I glued on the striped paper and pulled it across to the front. You need the length of the notebook plus about 6 inches of the ribbon.
- For the pocket, I used a piece of the striped paper and cut it about 1 inch larger across and 1/2 inch larger vertically. I scored three edges 1/2 inch in from the edge, clipped the two bottom corners at an angle so they would fold neatly, and folded them in. I adhered these with FabriTac for a little tighter hold. Then I added the ribbon and lace also using FabriTac glue. The small tag is one I had in my stash, and I added red and white ribbon and a small ribbon bow.
- For the image, I matted it on black cardstock and popped it up on foam dots.
Be Joyful Always, Becky
PS - Please take a minute to scroll down a couple of posts and check out my Pay It Forward Post! I'd love for you to join me on this journey!!!