Thanks for visiting!


Welcome! This is the place where I share my artsy and crafty projects. I am an evolving artist these days ... finding myself enjoying less of the cards and mini albums that I have made for years, and turning to art journaling and more artistic endeavors. I have always enjoyed some craft or other, and some of my earliest memories of my mother helping me make paper dolls and other crafts. I am now in my 60's and finding myself more passionately enjoying creating beautiful things and learning new skills and techniques and products.

While you are here I hope you will find inspiration and ideas for making your own projects, however any images or projects you find here are my personal property and should not be used for your own monetary gain, or for contests or challenges. Thank You!

4/11/2013

Kicking Art Journaling Up a Notch ... or Maybe A Few Notches!

Have you ever made anything ... could be a card or album, or maybe something you sewed or painted or ... whatever ... and realized that you had just kicked your creativity up a notch or two?  Well, a few days ago I finished an art journal page that made me feel as if I had truly stepped up my artistic side quite a bit.   When it was finished I felt this sense of accomplishment and creativity I hadn't felt in a while ... and it felt so good!

Remember this picture I shared with you a few days ago? ...



It is a close-up view of an art journal page I finished recently, and as I was working on the flowers on the birdhouse pole, I realized the paper I was using seriously looked like flow blue or delft blue china.  So then and there I decided to make a mosaic 'something' out of the remainder of the paper.  The really fun part of this is that the paper I was using for the flowers was a page I created using my Gelli Plate, a paper doily, a strip of wide paper lace, and some cobalt colored acrylic paint.  It wasn't much in an 8.5" x 11" format, but torn into small pieces and glued together in a mosaic pattern, it becomes something special! 




Isn't it lovely?  The background is another print from my Gelli Plate, one that wasn't much on it's own, although it does have the pretty paper doily design up in the top right hand color.  The long white stripes were created by simply pressing a Starbucks cup sleeve (inside, corrugated part) onto the wet paint. 





The process for making the mosaic vase was simple, yet a bit tedious!  I sketched a vase shape that I liked, then cut it out and traced it onto the background with a pencil.  Next I spread modeling paste over about 1/4 of the vase and placed small pieces of the paper that I had already torn into shapes.  As I filled up one section I would add more modeling paste and more paper, until it was finished. 




For the leaves, I used a stamp that I made from fun foam and stamped onto a gelli print that I really didn't care for that much.  Next I cut out the shapes and adhered them to the page, just above the mosaic vase.

The flowers are circles cut from another gelli print that had red and some gold on white.  I simply cut them into a spiral and adhered them with Mod Podge, twisting and curling them as I held them in place.  It's not hard, but just a tad tedious. 

The quote on the page says "She took all the broken pieces of her life and made something beautiful", which just fits the mosaic piece so much.  I covered the whole thing, including the mosaics, the flowers (I say they are camellias) with a nice coat of more Mod Podge and allowed it to dry.  And when it was finished, I truly felt like an artist ... making beautiful things from bits and pieces of very basic, simple items.

So tell me, what do you think?  Do you love it, hate it, or just not get it?  I would love to hear your thoughts.  Thanks so much for visiting today ... Blessings,









Products:
  • Card stock - Georgia Pacific 110 pound (Walmart)
  • Paints - Anita's All Purpose Acrylic Craft Paints (Hobby Lobby)
  • Adhesives - Mod Podge Glossy
  • Modeling Paste - Liquitex
  • Gel Printing Plate - Gelli Arts

No comments: