Thanks for visiting!


Welcome! This is the place where I share my artsy and crafty projects. I am an evolving artist these days ... finding myself enjoying less of the cards and mini albums that I have made for years, and turning to art journaling and more artistic endeavors. I have always enjoyed some craft or other, and some of my earliest memories of my mother helping me make paper dolls and other crafts. I am now in my 60's and finding myself more passionately enjoying creating beautiful things and learning new skills and techniques and products.

While you are here I hope you will find inspiration and ideas for making your own projects, however any images or projects you find here are my personal property and should not be used for your own monetary gain, or for contests or challenges. Thank You!

8/15/2011

"Anything Goes" at Make It Monday with Kraft Outlet!

Okay, so the ladies at The Kraft Journal (creative blog for Kraft Outlet) created a monster with their challenge this week!  You know how the creative process goes, right?  You start with an idea, then it grows, and eventually you have a whole story to tell with your project.

When I saw that 'anything goes' this week, I decided I wanted to do a very girly, frilly card, because I love how kraft paper lends itself to soft colors so well, so I went looking for an image.  Then, when I found this image from The Graphics Fairy, the concept of 'granny's trunk' came into play.

And then I just wanted you to feel as if you were going through your grandmother's (or great grandmother's) trunk as you looked at the different elements.  And, well, I may have gone just a tiny bit too far!  (That last vintage button may have been a tad too much!)  But I really do love the end result.   Here is my card based on the challenge . . .




Supplies:

  • Base (kraft) card stock - The Paper Studio
  • Patterned paper - An old 'Bitty' pad by Provo Craft
  • Navy card stock - DCWV
  • Image - The Graphics Fairy
  • Vintage lace, pink organza ribbon, velvet ribbon and buttons - my stash
  • Paper doily - Wilton
  • Glimmer Mist 'iridescent gold' - Tattered Angels
  • Fuzzy upholstery trim - stash, a gift from my aunt
  • Crinkled seam binding - Bluebird Lane Etsy shop
  • Inks - Anna Griffin and Stampabilities
  • Floral cameo - Anna Griffin

Tools Used:
  • Computer and ink jet printer
  • Cricut Expression and Elegant Edges cartridge (Flrsh2-s set at 6" using Oblong feature)
  • Scissors, ruler, craft knife, rotary cutter


Tips and Techniques:

  • The image did not have those folds, but I folded it in several places and lightly inked the folds in different shades of ink to give it the aged look.
  • For the doily fan, I inked it with cocoa brown, mulberry and bronze colored inks, then spritzed fairly heavily with Glimmer Mist.  When it had dried, I cut half way into the doily, cut out the center, and then pleated the outer part to get a pleated fan look and glued the pleats together.  Lastly I inked the edges of the doily with more mulberry colored ink.
  • The two vintage buttons came from a fabric store in an old gas station in the small town of Mountain City, Georgia.  They are both very old, and cost 25 cents for the mother of pearl one, and 10 cents for the burgundy and cream one.

I sure do hope that you get the feeling I intended for this card.  I have a trunk that belonged to my mother's mother and grandmother, and it is still full of their old things.  I love going through it and pulling out their treasures and wondering what they were doing back then.   I love collecting old bits and pieces at yard sales and estate sales.  I always wonder about the people who owned them, and then I store them back in my stash, just waiting for the perfect time to put them to use. 

Thanks for visiting today . . . Blessings!  Becky


1 comment:

Kim Duran said...

Becky, I so "get" exactly what you were going with for this card. And I must say, mission accomplished! What a beautiful collection of trimmings, buttons, and embellishments! I just adore what you've created. A masterpiece! Thanks for playing along with the challenge this week at The Kraft Journal.